Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Back in Black...and White

I'll admit that I am one of those people who say African-American more often than Black. Thinking on the subject, I suppose it's because I do not want to offend anyone but it was put in my head by society that describing someone as being black is wrong or offensive. So the only other thing that I could think of to say was African-American. Now society is saying that it too is offensive and/or wrong because not all black people are from Africa. Thinking about it though, I think it would have been more incorrect to call all black people African-American as opposed to black because of the origins. That's what black people are though; black. Just like white people are white so why can't we just leave it at that? White people aren't picky about how you identify them, society just calls them white. Besides, aren't things easier in terms of black and white?

No comments: